Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Demise by Katrin Torres-Clar


"DEMISE"
ACT I
Scene 1
Leandros and Hypatos are in a house, around a table, drinking out of mugs.  They are chuckling.
LEANDROS:
My daughter Callidora is my treasure!  What a gem, what a pearl, she is what keeps me waking each day.

HYPATOS:
Yes, but my daughter is more beautiful!  Alas, her face is perfect, she is the envy of the whole town!
LEANDROS:
Oh, but my daughter has the fairest hair!  Her eyes sparkle like the bluest rivers, and her hands are the softest in all of Greece!  She does not do maid's work, like your own child, but keeps her dignity, like myself.
Hypatos throws his mug down on the floor, where it shatters.  He punches Leandros in the jaw. 
HYPATOS:
Do not speak of my family like that, Leandros.
LEANDROS:
And why should I not?  I only speak the truth.
HYPATOS:
You will regret not shutting your foul mouth, Leandros.  You are no longer welcome in my house.  Get out.
Leandros leaves, and Hypatos calls on his daughter, Dido.
She enters.
HYPATOS:
Dido, please run an errand for me.  Go to the shrine of Iyetis, and burn these incense.  When the smoke first billows, call out the name Thanatos. 
DIDO:
But fa-
HYPATOS:
A man will walk into the temple, and you must bring him here.  I need to speak to him.
DIDO:
Father...
HYPATOS:
Now, Dido.
Hypatos mutters something about Callidora.
DIDO:
Callidora.  A memory stirs, it makes me think of my past.
Dido exits, shoulders slumped.
Scene 2
Dido enters temple of Iyetis, where a statue of the goddess is seemingly staring at her.  Dido kneels in front of the statue and begins to pray.
DIDO:
O, powerful goddess Iyetis, hear my troubles.  My father has told me yet again to call on this man of murder!  I fear girl by the name of Callidora is to lose her life.  I seem to remember something about this.  Please, rid my mind of this fog and reveal to me what I must know!  For the sake of my good father and for the sake of the innocent victim, hear me!
Dido weeps, and then remembers to light the incense.  She lights the incense and calls out the word Thanatos.
A young man, Thanatos, enters.  Dido hides her face.
THANATOS:
You called my name, beautiful Dido.
DIDO:
My father wishes to speak with you again.  He is willing to pay more than last time.
Thanatos grins slyly, and takes Dido's hand.  He kisses it.
Dido pulls her hand away and stands up, averting Thanatos' eyes.
THANATOS:
Yes.  Last time the wages did not last me even a month!  I should receive better pay than that, considering the risk of my job.
DIDO:
Come with me now, my father is waiting.
Dido leads Thanatos away.
Scene 3
Callidora is sitting at a stool, braiding her hair.  Leandros enters, and stands beside Callidora.
LEANDROS:
Callidora, my daughter, I have just remembered that I have must travel to the mountains this night.  You are to stay alone.  Do not let any person in, and do not make to much noise.  The city is dangerous at night.
CALLIDORA:
But, Papa, do you think I should not go with you?  I would much rather be in your company than in the company of the shadows that inhabit the city.
LEANDROS:
I would not mind to bring you, but alas, I go to talk the talk of men.  It would be almost criminal to bring a woman.
Callidora looks down and picks up a basket.
CALLIDORA:
I will go to the market now.  I am to buy some food for tonight.  When are you to leave the sacred town of Petritis?
LEANDROS:
I am to leave at sunset.  If you are to go to the market, you must take this.
Leandros hands Callidora a sword wrapped in cloth.
LEANDROS:
Take it to the armory, and have it sharpened.  Here are the coins needed.
Leandros hands her a bag of coins.
LEANDROS:
Go now, daughter.  I am to see you at the setting of the sun.
Callidora exits one way, Leandros the other.
Scene 4
The market is loud, there are many stands.  Callidora enters.  Timidly she walks to the armory.  Phlegon, a young armorer with orange hair walks towards her.
Callidora hands him the sword, muttering incomprehensively.
PHLEGON:
I am sorry, girl, I did not catch that.
CALLIDORA:

My father needs this sword sharpened.
Callidora hands Phlegon the sword.
Thanatos and Dido walk through the crowd, stopping at a food stand temporarily.
PHLEGON:
Beautiful girl, what is your name?
CALLIDORA:
I'm called Callidora.
Dido stops in her tracks.  Her eyes widen.
DIDO:
Callidora, now I remember, Calliadora, how can it be?  We were children together, look what's become of me.
Dido pulls Thanatos by the hand off stage.
Phlegon takes the sword from Callidora.
PHLEGON:
Beautiful Callidora, you may come to take this sword back once you finish shopping.
Phlegon takes Callidora's hand and kisses it. Callidora hurriedly leaves the armory and goes to another stall.
ACT II
Scene 1
Hypatos is sitting at the same table as when he was with Leandros.  Dido enters, Thanatos behind her.  Hypatos smiles.
HYPATOS:
I see you have come.  Has the prospect of higher pay tempted you?  Well, I hope Dido and I will be left with more than just soup bones!
Thanatos laughs.
THANATOS:
Please, let us not talk of bargains or bones or greed.
Hypatos pulls out a large bag of coins.
HYPATOS:
Now, may I say we are agreed?
Thanatos takes the bag of money off of the table.
THANATOS:
So, what is my job this night?
HYPATOS:
A girl named Callidora.  She is the daughter of Leandros.  She lives near the market, in a large house.  Make sure nobody sees you, and bring me her heart to prove you have killed her.
Hypatos grins evilly, and Thanatos rolls his eyes.  Dido shudders.  She runs outside.
Scene 2
Dido enters the market.  She spots Callidora and Phlegon.
Callidora is takes the sword from the armory and walks away.  Phlegon looks after her for a while.  He gets up and follows her.
DIDO:
Why is it, that he loves Callidora?  The cursed Callidora.  He does not know that as of tonight, his precious Callidora will be no more!
Dido laughs, and takes off after Phlegon.
The three of them walk away from the market.
Callidora reaches her house, where Leandros is waiting.  She gives him his sword, and he mounts a mule and leaves.
Callidora enters the house, and Phlegon approaches the it.  Dido gets closer as well.
Phlegon turns around suddenly.
PHLEGON:
Ah, Dido, I seemed to sense you there.  What is it that you seek?
Dido looks down and starts blushing.  She kicks the dirt road and plays with her fingernails.
DIDO:
I am sorry, Phlegon, I was wandering, as I do usually, and I stumbled across that... girl and yourself.
PHLEGON:
I-
A scream is heard from inside the house. Phlegon runs inside, and Dido giggles.
DIDO:
Oh, your Callidora is about to meet her fate!
Dido runs inside the house.
Scene 3
Phlegon is pacing around the living room.  Dido enters.
DIDO:
Where is Callidora, the near sister of my childhood?
PHLEGON:
A man with hair as black a night ran off with her!  I can not believe this, Dido, I'm lost until she's found!
DIDO:
(whispering)
It can not be Thanatos, his hair is not so dark.  Even if it was, that is not his style of killing.  But then again, if somebody entered, Thanatos may have had to run.
PHLEGON:
I did not hear what you said, Dido.
DIDO:
Nothing, Phlegon, I was just wondering to myself.  Are we going to go find her now?
PHLEGON:
I can not put your life in danger, Dido.  It would be improper.
DIDO:
I insist on helping you find Callidora.  I will go on my own accord, therefore you are not putting my life in anything, I am the one responsible.
Dido exits.  Phlegon follows.
Scene 4
Callidora and Amun are in an alley.
CALLIDORA:

Let go of me!  Why did you take me from my home?!  What do you want?!
AMUN:
Be quiet, Callidora.  We musn't be found.  There is a man trying to kill you.  I overheard him speaking to another, and I am here to make sure he doesn't get you tonight.
CALLIDORA:
Who are you?  Why are you protecting me like this?
AMUN:
I am called Amun, and I was hired.
CALLIDORA:
By whom?  Please tell me, Amun.
Callidora grabs Amun's hand.  Amun shakes it away.
AMUN:
We must go.  I sense that idiot armorer and the girl behind him...
CALLIDORA:
Are you coming?
Callidora tries to grab his hand again.  She fails.
AMUN:
Yes.
Both exit.
ACT III
Scene 1
Leandros enters a small hut that has sheep pens all along the outside. He greets a young man and his father, Orestes and Orion.
ORION:
What brings you here, guest, friend?
LEANDROS:
I am interested in discussing matters of marriage with you.
ORESTES:
I have no wife of yet!  Why do you ask such things, Leandros?
ORION:
Is Callidora in need of a husband?
LEANDROS:
Alas, the time has come.  Callidora must be married soon, or she will become too old!  She is fifteen already, you know.
ORION:
Sit down, Leandros, let us dine while we speak!
Dinner is set out by a maid, and the three men sit at the table.
LEANDROS:
The dowry that I will pay is all of her clothes and our linen.  I will also put some sheep in.
ORION:
How many sheep?  There have been wolf attacks lately, and we have lost four.
LEANDROS:
I will give you six sheep.  What is your opinion?
ORESTES:
Six sheep, in addition to the clothes and linen, are a good bargain.
LEANDROS:
It is settled, then.  Orestes is to wed Callidora.
ORION:
Yes. Leandros, we have a room you can rest in. You must be tired from the journey here.

LEANDROS:
Thank you, Orion.
Leandros exits.  Orion and Oreestes exit.
Scene 2
Dido and Phlegon are at the market, which is now empty.  It is very dark, completely night.
PHLEGON:
Are you sure they would come this way?
Dido smirks.
DIDO:
I don't know where they are going, but this seems a likely place.
PHLEGON:
What makes you say that, Dido?
Dido turns and starts pacing.
DIDO:
(whispering)
How am I to make him believe that they are coming this way?  Thanatos needs time, and Phlegon would just get in the way.
PHLEGON:
Dido, you must learn to speak properly.  I can't hear you.
DIDO:
I am sorry.  I sense that they are coming this way.  Let us wait behind one of the stalls.
PHLEGON:

Will the armory do?  There are big hearths, and we can hide better.
DIDO:
If you think it would.
Both head towards armory, and enter through a back door.
Scene 3
Amun is running with Callidora through streets.
CALLIDORA:
Where are we going, Amun?
AMUN:
To the market.  It would take a genius to expect us there.
CALLIDORA:
Amun, I can not run as fast as you!  Please slow down!
AMUN:
Callidora, we have no time for slowing down!
Callidora trips and falls on her knees, yelping.
AMUN:
Callidora, get up quickly!
CALLIDORA:
Amun, help me please!
Callidora stretches her hand up, and Amun takes it gingerly.  He lifts her to her feet.
AMUN:
Now, Callidora, run like Aeolis, King of Winds!
Callidora and Amun run into the market.  Amun drags Callidora into the Armory.
PHLEGON:
Dido, you were right!  They have come!
DIDO:
Who is this?!
CALLIDORA:
Phlegon, Dido, what is going on?!  Amun, what is the meaning of this?
PHLEGON:
Lovely Callidora!  Are you alright?  Who is this man?
AMUN:
How did you know we would come here?
DIDO:
I-
THANATOS:
Four in one go?!
Thanatos steps in from behind the door frame.  He laughs.
AMUN:
Callidora, we must go.

DIDO:
Thanatos?  Is this thief working with you?
THANTOS:
Dido, you know very well I work alone.
Amun and Callidora make their way towards a door.  Dido goes to block them, and Amun pulls out a knife, stabbing Dido with it, who staggers into Phlegon's arms.  She makes a strangled noise.  Then, Thanatos punches Amun in the nose.  Amun staggers backwards, and Thanatos approaches Callidora.  Phlegon steps in his way, and Dido grabs him.
DIDO:
Come with me, dear Phlegon!
She falls and pulls him backwards into the giant fire in the center of the room, and they both scream.
Callidora faints, and Amun catches her.
THANATOS:
Dido! Why do I live while you are gone?  What is to become of me?!
Thanatos pulls out a knife and lunges at Callidora.  Amun moves her, and the blade grazes her ribs.  Thanatos, going mad, takes her for dead and lunges at Amun.
THANATOS:
You!  You killed Dido!  You will pay!
Thanatos stabs Amun's chest, and in turn stabs himself.  Callidora remains unconscious.
THE END.

No comments:

Post a Comment